Saturday in Boston was absolutely beautiful, a balmy 50 degrees. As a California girl, I never thought I’d say that, but in comparison to the freezing cold of January, it was beautiful out! It turned out to be a perfect day for a walk down Newbury Street for a bit of shopping with my friend Dan.
Our first stop was Club Monaco, where I found Dan a great black crew neck cashmere sweater on sale for $59 (instead of $120!) and a black crew neck waffle tee for $19. Awesome tip: Club Monaco offers a 20% student discount off all merchandise, which meant Dan scored both tops for $65 – not bad!
I’m currently on the hunt for a new pair of flat black boots. I have a great pair of flat black leather boots that I’ve had for a few years – they’re starting to fade, and they’ve got gold buckles, so I can’t always wear them with everything. My favorite pair of boots right now are flat brown boots from Target, which of course used to come in black. After a look on their website this week, turns out the boots are no longer available, and I’m totally bummed – they’re so cute & comfortable (and cheap!) and would have been perfect. Anyways, we looked in Aldo and Charles David but saw nothing, so we made our way to J Crew, where Dan made out like a bandit, and I applied for a job. I’ve decided a tiny (strange) part of me misses retail, and the manager said they were taking applications and currently in an interview process, so I’m crossing my fingers!
As is probably very obvious, I love to dress people, so I had a blast wandering the store pulling things for Dan to try.
I pulled this stripped hoodie and bright polo for Dan, the combination of which I absolutely love.
He tried on a grey vneck we also liked, but decided wasn’t worth it’s price tag for something so basic, and a marked down blue v neck sweater that I liked, but Dan decided he wouldn’t wear. With his 15% student discount at J Crew, Dan got two polos, a dark grey long sleeve henley and the stripped zip up for just over $150 – not bad!
Next we headed to Filene’s Basement, where I scored an awesome new purse for $15, a pair of $10 sunglasses and a new umbrella which I desperately needed. At the Marc by Marc Jacobs store I bought myself a new wallet that doubles as a clutch, which I’m absolutely obsessed with – it’s hot pink on the inside!
We wandered to American Eagle next, where I continued to play personal shopper for Dan. He ended up with an awesome outfit:
He also tried on a pink striped shirt, which we quickly vetoed.
New jeans, shirt, sunglasses and a few pairs of new boxer briefs in hand, we made our way down Newbury to try our luck at Steve Madden. I found this pair of boots at Steve Madden I thought I liked, but decided looked too scrunched and slightly strange on my feet. Too bad, because I found this pair of awesome purple suede flats that would have been 50% off of their sale price ($15!) had I bought the boots. I’m still thinking about whether the flats are worth their sale price of $30 – maybe I’ll go back for them this week.
Hands full of bags and starving, we headed to Chipotle for dinner – yum!
Lately, everywhere I turn I’ve been seeing girls wearing leggings as pants. It’s painful and embarassing to see, as this great article from The News Record points out. In fact, there are thousands of blog posts on the subject of leggings and precisely why they shouldn’t be worn as pants.
Now don’t get me wrong – I love leggings. I would gladly wear leggings instead of jeans any day, I practically live in them. I own a half dozen pairs in black, grey, navy, turquoise, purple and even bright blue. So instead of just criticizing, I’ve decided to compile a list of the five best ways to flaunt the trend.
1. Keep your leggings simple and in one piece. Seeing ripped leggings like these ones makes me want to cry.
2. Always wear a long top, sweater or dress with your leggings. Rule of thumb: your entire butt should be covered at all times. My trick is to always wear a long, layering tank top underneath whatever top I’m wearing. My favorite is the boyfriend tank from American Eagle which I buy in a bigger size so it’s longer on me.
3. If you’re going to wear brightly colored leggings (which I am all for!) be sure to pair them with a simple solid color like black or white. Wearing a bright green top with purple leggings can be a bit of an eye sore.
4. Keep your outfit simple. When I wear leggings, I try to stick with solids. Often, all you need is a pair of leggings, a long tank top and a basic long sleeve sweater to pull on over. What makes the outfit is your scarf, necklace, earrings or shoes. Even if you’re wearing black leggings and a great sweater, make your outfit pop with a bright gold necklace, like this one from Forever 21.
5. Pair your leggings with boots or flats – when wearing my leggings with flats, I often pull the leggings underneath my heel to create a different, unique look.